Re: Info regarding integrating a barcode reader with PostgreSQL

From: Ryan Mahoney <ryan(at)paymentalliance(dot)net>
To: "Sullivan,Deric [CMC]" <Deric(dot)Sullivan(at)ec(dot)gc(dot)ca>, "'pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Info regarding integrating a barcode reader with PostgreSQL
Date: 2001-07-09 13:17:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Most barcode readers act as a 'keyboard wedge' - basically, the input from
the scanner is just alpha numeric data (depending on which barcode you
choose), and your computer is under the impression it was manually keyed
in. Unless you are storing data in your reader for later retrieval, using a
barcode scanner should be very easy ton integrate into your workflow. I
developed an asset management system for physical video tape media a while
back, we used symbol scanners. The scanners were plugged into WinNT client
boxes - I don't think we even needed to install a driver.

Good Luck

-r