Re: Re: PATCH: The linker complains about the '-bundle_loader "../../src/backend/postgres"' against PostgreSQL 8.4 on OSX

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: Ashesh Vashi <ashesh(dot)vashi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: PATCH: The linker complains about the '-bundle_loader "../../src/backend/postgres"' against PostgreSQL 8.4 on OSX
Date: 2012-05-07 10:46:51
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
On 07.05.2012 13:39, Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, May 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>  wrote:
>
>> for that matter. I'll fix this in git master. I consider the current tip of
>> the old CVS repository (or the corresponding checkout from the git repo) to
>> be the latest stable release, PostgreSQL one-click installers<= 9.1 can
>> continue to use that version.
>
> Can you create a "PRE-9_2" branch for the current architecture, and
> apply Ashesh's patch to that if you think it's a reasonable fix
> please? We can then move the older builds to that branch. Then the 9.2
> changes can go on master.

By current architecture, do you mean what we had in the CVS, or as the
code stands in the current tip of the git repository? I agree we should
create a branch like that, but I want to make sure we agree on where it
should be branched off. I've rearranged and cleaned up the code quite
extensively in git master already, and I'm not sure if we want to
include all that in back-branches. On one hand, I've fixed a lot of bugs
with the changes, so it would be nice to include those fixes, but OTOH,
perhaps we shouldn't risk destabilizing back-branches. Then again, we
can probably be more aggressive with pushing changes to pldebugger to
back-branches, as it's not something you should be running in production
anyway. It's just a development tool.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Ashesh, but your patch is only needed to fix
build issues I caused by rearranging the code and the Makefile in git
master. The code at the point where we migrated from CVS to git builds
fine on back-branches.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas