Re: Temporary tables under hot standby

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temporary tables under hot standby
Date: 2012-05-03 00:57:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Michael,

> What is the use case for temporary tables on a hot standby server?
>
> Perhaps this is a noobie question, but it seems to me that a hot standby
> server's use by* applications* or *users* should be limited to transactions
> that don't alter the database in any form.

A very common use for asynchronous replicas is to offload long-running
reporting jobs onto the replica so that they don't bog down the master.
 However, long-running reporting jobs often require temporary tables,
especially if they use some 3rd-party vendor's reporting tool.  For
example, the average Microstrategy report involves between 1 and 12
temporary tables.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.