Re: Windows x86-64 One-Click Install (9.1.2-1, 9.0.6-1) hangs on "initialising the database cluster" (with work-around)

From: Eric Borts <eborts(at)bltek(dot)com>
To: Dharmendra Goyal <dharmendra(dot)goyal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows x86-64 One-Click Install (9.1.2-1, 9.0.6-1) hangs on "initialising the database cluster" (with work-around)
Date: 2012-01-27 19:32:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Hi Dave and Dharmendra,

It is not the "%COMSPEC% /c" call that causes the window to popup, but
the WindowStyle parameter to WShell.Run (see Table 3.9 in MS TechNet WSH
Objects / Running Programs
<http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee156605.aspx>). Setting
WindowStyle to "0" creates a hidden window. This is how the code in the
installer is currently written. Setting it to "1" creates a visible
window. This happens when using "%COMSPEC% /c" or when calling the batch
file directly.

Here is a another site recommending
<http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/how-do-i-execute-a-dos-command/batch-file/exe-from-asp.html>
the use of "%COMSPEC% /c" with a "0" second parameter, along with a note
about the window (in)visibility:

     "[...] do not run any command that raises a prompt, dialog, msgbox
or any other GUI. This [...] could hang your entire system (since the
invisible GUI will be waiting for a reply [...]"

Test code is attached that demonstrates using COMSPEC with a "0" versus
a "1".

Output from SET command is also attached. Note that I've verified that
this problem still occurs in Safe Mode.

Any other suggestions? I've also posted to StackOverflow
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9038927/vbscript-hangs-when-launching-batch-file-with-wshell-script-run>
for adivce.

A separate line of reasoning for using COMSPEC is that the calling of
the .bat directly assumes that default action is to execute the batch
file. If a user has modified their default .bat actions (which I have
not), the postgres installer will fail. Using COMSPEC will avoid that
pitfall.

I'll keep you posted if I discover why my machine doesn't execute batch
files by default, or how it ended up in this condition. The computer is
only about 2 months old, so I haven't had *that* much time to overwhelm
it with installs.

Eric