Re: Java 1.4

From: Till Toenges <tt(at)kyon(dot)de>
To: John Lister <john(dot)lister-ps(at)kickstone(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Java 1.4
Date: 2012-01-22 23:02:48
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

On 2012-01-22 21:01, John Lister wrote:
> I did consider 1.6 as the base line, but thought it may be a stretch too
> far so left it with 1 increment, so phasing out 1.5 support in a couple
> of years sounds good. One of the reasons in previous discussions is that
> large enterprises were and maybe still are using 1.4 and were/are
> reluctant to change due to testing/stability requirements, etc. I was
> wondering if they would also be using new releases of the driver because
> of the same.

I think that if someone is conservative enough to use 1.4, they will a)
be successfully running with whatever old version of the driver they
have, b) still use an older version of postgres, and c) have a well
tested system without any major bugs left that would require a driver or
database update. Basically the only reason not to update such an old
system is because it works, and that means no one will risk an update of
a relatively minor component like a driver. Who cares if there is a bug
in the driver, if it never affected them in the past 10 years.

And if there really is someone who needs a current version of the driver
running on a stone age vm, that someone will probably be willing to
either backport the update or pay someone else to do it.

I may be wrong, but nobody on the list seems to know someone who really
needs support for 1.4.

Till

--
Kyon, Till Toenges, tt(at)kyon(dot)de, http://kyon.de
Obergplatz 14, 47804 Krefeld, +49-2151-3620334