Re: Use a custom postgresql.conf?

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: Colin E Busse <ceb(at)pt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Use a custom postgresql.conf?
Date: 2011-11-29 21:28:11
Lists: pgsql-admin
On 11/29/2011 01:06 PM, Colin E Busse wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to determine how to get postgres to use a custom
> postgresql.conf file that will be located in a directory other than
> the default postgresql.conf file.  I would like it to be installed via
> an rc script so that the database setup can be part of a
> self-contained install.  I do not want to use symbolic links, and I do
> not want to edit the default postgresql.conf file.  I am using
> PostgreSQL version 8.4.4 on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.  Currently, I
> am able to start the database using the following command, which
> specifies my custom postgresql.conf file:
>
> pg_ctl start -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -l /var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.log -o
> "-c config_file='/<path-to-custom-config-file>/postgresql.conf'"
>
> Is there a way to set this up so that I can simply call:
>
> service postgresql start
>
> And have the database start using my config file?

Don't have RHEL6 handy so looking at a CentOS 5.3 box...

I *think* you should be able to put the custom settings in
/etc/sysconfig/pgsql/postgresql which is used by /etc/init.d/postgresql
to override its defaults. Set $PGOPTS to the custom additions to the
standard startup command.

The wiki page may be of help:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_on_RedHat_Linux

Cheers,