Re: PostgreSQL website redesign

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL website redesign
Date: 2011-11-23 15:28:31
Lists: pgsql-www
On 11/19/2011 09:29 AM, damien clochard wrote:
> c/ Sorry but I'm not a huge fan of the Postgres Open website :-/ It's
> full of HTML and CSS errors everywhere. The meta tags are pretty poor.
> Basic files like sitemap.xml or robots.txt are missing. There's no
> favicon either....  On what basis is this an "excellent job" ?

The Postgres Open site is built on top of some Django code from another
conference, and it turned out to be a nightmare to work with.  The
primary basis you should judge the designer of that site on is whether
the visual look is nice.  As far as I know every error you mentioned
resulted from a framework issue that they had no control over.  All time
that had been intended for fixing those sort of things (and far more)
was gobbled up just getting the schedule to display, which had nothing
to do with the job they were working on.