Re: trouble restoring and other bugs

From: Colin Beckingham <colbec(at)start(dot)ca>
To: John Fabiani <johnf(at)jfcomputer(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: trouble restoring and other bugs
Date: 2011-11-22 16:57:38
Lists: pgadmin-support

On 11/22/2011 11:26 AM, John Fabiani wrote:

>> FWIW I tried upgrading to 12.1 OpenSUSE and had the nasty surprise that
>> the upgrade took me from my Postgresql 9.0 to 9.1. From 9.1 I could not
>> access my old data files from the previous 9.0. Fortunately I had a
>> backup and was secure in the knowledge I had not lost data. In the end
>> there were so many issues with 12.1 that I decided to go back to 11.4.
>> Is is possible that you were using a different upgraded server version?
>
> I did a complete fresh install of 12.1 64 bit on a new computer.  I am having
> some issues.  Kmail is not working as well as in the past, pgadmin will not
> allow me to backup and restore.  But mostly I'm OK.
>
> I'd like better info on how to use the new interface of pgadmin 1.14 because I
> can't be sure I'm doing it correctly.  That said - I still believe there is
> something wrong because of the lack the standard messages appearing.
>
> Johnf

If you have a new install then you are using 9.1 postgresql since that
is what was on my 12.1 64 bit iso.

I installed using Gnome with no KDE so I can't comment on what happens
in KDE. I'm sure that dbus was broken in my upgrade, could not get
pulseaudio to work correctly, and several other things so went back to
11.4. I did not get the chance to see if pgadmin worked in 12.1 since it
refused to do anything once it found I had a 9.0 data backend.

If pgamin looks strange then might be better off using a standard backup
restore procedure:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.1/static/backup.html
--
---