Re: BUG #6281: need to remove

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6281: need to remove
Date: 2011-11-04 21:57:09
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On 11/04/11 1:07 PM, Jim Jackson (817) 233-2385 wrote:
> The postgreSQL was a separate installation step that had to be done
> separately from the poker software load to support the poker software. After
> it was loaded it would not respond to the passwords that were provided so
> neither functioned. I did not bother with it for a while then realized I no
> longer have access to my files such as my Outlook.pst file that are in the
> Local Settings directory.

normally, postgresql creates and runs as its own special non-privileged
user, typically called "postgres", and the only profile it would touch
at all would be the profile for this "postgres" user (and, it hardly
uses this).   There's two levels of passwords involved, one for the
system (windows) user "postgres", this password is only used to start
the postgresql service in the windows service manager, and the other
possible password is for the 'postgres' role within the postgresql
database server (note that a SQL role/user is distinct from a system
user, even if they have the same name).

*nothing* any postgres installer I've ever seen should affect your Local
Settings or your outlook.pst files.

Now, I *have* seen Windows, when it gets particularly aggravated at
something, decide that a user's profile is wonky, and go and create a
new profile.    if you were to look in the "C:\Documents and Settings"
folder (on XP) or "C:\Users" (on Vista/Win7), you'd see like
yourusername and yourusername.001 in this case, or something like
that.      Of course, windows does its best to keep you from even
looking in there, as those are considered 'system folders' and they
think they can keep stuff from getting messed up by hiding it from you.
Doesn't make it any easier to fix when so much of the systems activity
is hidden away.   Sigh.  this all conspires to make it really hard to
help someone out remotely.