Failure controlling PG 9.1 service on Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit

From: Jack Christensen <jackc(at)hylesanderson(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Failure controlling PG 9.1 service on Ubuntu 10.04 32-bit
Date: 2011-10-07 18:23:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Just upgraded a machine from PostgreSQL 9.0 to 9.1. I uninstalled the
old version then installed the new one.

Whenever I try to run a service command to start, stop, or restart the
server it fails.

jackc(at)lizard:~$ sudo service postgresql stop
* Stopping PostgreSQL 9.1 database server
* Error: Could not open /proc/2193/comm
[fail]

It seems to be happening in /usr/share/postgresql-common/PgCommon.pm:542

PostgreSQL is actually running fine, but the only way I can make any
changes is to reboot the server (or kill all the postgres processes I
suppose).

--
Jack Christensen
jackc(at)hylesanderson(dot)edu