Re: diagnosing a db crash - server exit code 2

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: "Burgholzer, Robert (DEQ)" <Robert(dot)Burgholzer(at)deq(dot)virginia(dot)gov>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: diagnosing a db crash - server exit code 2
Date: 2011-09-23 21:03:42
Lists: pgsql-admin
On 09/23/2011 01:45 PM, Burgholzer, Robert (DEQ) wrote:
> Joe - it appears that it ALWAYS involves pLR - even a simple median call
> has caused it, though I must say it is something that is calculating the
> median of somewhere around 10-20,000 pieces of data if that makes any
> difference.  I would be delighted to run any kind of debugging necessary
> and share the info.  I have an identical system that can reproduce the
> errors (I am pretty certain that they HAVE previously).  What I DON'T
> have is any knowledge of the stack-trace/debugger things, but I'm
> willing to learn, and I have a sysadmin who may be able to lend a hand.

There is some good information about using gdb with postgres here:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Getting_a_stack_trace_of_a_running_PostgreSQL_backend_on_Linux/BSD

If you need a hand, I would be happy to help you through the debugging
via phone or even log in remotely if you can allow it. Just contact me
off-list if you want to pursue that.

Note that I made a new PL/R release just a few weeks ago which fixed
several known crash-bugs. In particular these two pop out at me:

- Fix missing calls to UNPROTECT.
- Don't try to free an array element value when the
  array element is NULL

Joe

--
Joe Conway