Re: [WIP] Caching constant stable expressions per execution

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [WIP] Caching constant stable expressions per execution
Date: 2011-09-11 01:46:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> If I understand the limitations correctly, though, what this would do is
> cause functions to perform substantially differently if called with
> expressions as arguments instead of text constants, no?  Seems like that
> would lead to some user confusion.  Although, with stuff like now(), we
> already have that.

After some discussion on IRC, I realized I misunderstood the limitations
of the patch.  I'd say that this would be a significant improvement for
a large number of real-world cases.  The more in-depth solution ... that
is, one which would accept column parameters ... would of course make
this patch obsolete, but AFAIK nobody is working on that yet.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.