Re: Comparing two PostgreSQL databases -- order of pg_dump output

From: Joe Abbate <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Comparing two PostgreSQL databases -- order of pg_dump output
Date: 2011-08-31 00:02:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hi Stephen,

On 08/30/2011 07:11 PM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> * Joe Abbate (jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com) wrote:
>> In order to compare the schema of two presumably identical
>> databases, I've been diffing the output of pg_dump -Osx.
> I'm not sure exactly how it does it, but offers this.
> It also offers a whole slew of other useful things to monitor.

Note that what I'm looking for is something to compare just about
EVERYTHING DDL under the PostgreSQL sun: tables, types, functions,
operators, etc. The description of same_schema appears to imply only a
subset of objects are compared (in fact, looking at the code, I can
confirm that limitation).

BTW, I tried installing check_postgres, but not being much into Perl and
not knowing what dependencies it has, "make test" failed 38/42 tests.