Re: Problem connecting to Postgresql on ubuntu 11.04 on virtual box

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Lukasz Brodziak" <lukasz(dot)brodziak(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem connecting to Postgresql on ubuntu 11.04 on virtual box
Date: 2011-07-14 13:52:40
Lists: pgsql-admin
Lukasz Brodziak <lukasz(dot)brodziak(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> As in the topic I can't connect to a PG installed in ubuntu on
> virtualbox. The host system is Windows XP, pg is running on ubuntu
> as I van connect to it through pgadmin on VB. When I try to
> connect to it from software running on the host system I get the
> error asking whether the server is running on host 192.168.56.101
> and is accepting connections on port 5432 which it does.

Have you set listen_addresses?

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/interactive/runtime-config-connection.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-CONNECTION-SETTINGS

> Pg version is 8.2.4 instelled from source.

Major release 8.2 hits end of life in five months.

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_Release_Support_Policy

8.2.4 is very old.  You should be on the latest bug fix release of
8.2.

http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning

You can get some sense of the bug and security fixes you will be
missing by reading the files from 8.2.5 to 8.2.21 here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/release.html

If setting listen_addresses and restarting PostgreSQL doesn't fix
your connectivity problem, please read this page and post again:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

-Kevin