SECURITY LABEL on shared database object

From: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
To: "Hackers (PostgreSQL)" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Kohei Kaigai <Kohei(dot)Kaigai(at)EMEA(dot)NEC(dot)COM>
Subject: SECURITY LABEL on shared database object
Date: 2011-06-29 23:18:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I signed up to do a review on $subject patch for the commitfest. In
order to do that, I want to get SELinux and contrib/sepgsql properly set
up so that I can test. I ran into a problem when trying to do:

    cd contrib/sepgsql
    make install                       (succeeds)
    make installcheck                  (fails)

I get this:

    ============== creating database "contrib_regression" ==============
    ERROR:  could not determine which collation to use for string
    comparison
    HINT:  Use the COLLATE clause to set the collation explicitly.
    command failed: "/usr/local/pgsql-head/bin/psql" -X -c "CREATE
    DATABASE \"contrib_regression\" TEMPLATE=template0" "postgres"
    make: *** [installcheck] Error 2

So I installed sepgsql into the postgres database anyway and do this:

    postgres=# SELECT sepgsql_restorecon(NULL);
    ERROR:  could not determine which collation to use for string
    comparison
    HINT:  Use the COLLATE clause to set the collation explicitly.

Ok, so now I go look at the docs to figure out what exactly a "COLLATE
clause" is. Only searching the online docs brings up no hits on the
keyword COLLATE". Google brings me to TODO wiki page:

    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo:Collate

But that isn't much help either. Grepping the source gets hits in 9.1
and master. So I guess:

1) COLLATE clause is a new feature in 9.1?
2) The doc search feature on postgresql.org does not search the 9.1
   documentation?

I looked in the 9.1 docs in SQL Commands->SELECT and could find no
reference to COLLATE. Can anyone point me to some documentation that
would explain what that error message means and how to resolve it?

Thanks,

Joe

--
Joe Conway