Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project
Date: 2011-05-31 02:43:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/30/2011 09:52 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> I have used RT and I found that the
> web interface was both difficult to use and unwieldly for tickets
> containing large numbers of messages. Maybe those those things have
> been improved, but frankly if RT or Bugzilla is the best we can come
> up with then I'd rather not have a bug tracker at all. See also:
> Linus's opinion on CVS.

This is just the sort of argument that's stopped us in the past. My
guess that that everybody's favourite tracker is someone else's least
favourite.

I have a slight preference for Bugzilla for no other reasons than
familiarity and the fact that I did a good deal of the work that allowed
it to run on Postgres some years ago. Also, I'd be happier if we could
leverage the good work that Stefan did a few years ago.

Some years ago I was involved in doing a substantial study of trackers
and SCMs for a company I was working for. One of the conclusions the
study group came to was that there should be good integration between
the tracker system and the SCM. That was in the days before distributed
SCMs were common, and in a commercial context, so I'm not sure how well
our reasoning would stand up for the current context, but I see it's
been mentioned elsewhere and I think it's a significant consideration,
at least.

cheers

andrew