Re: PG 9.0 - Default postgresql.conf?

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Phoenix Kiula <phoenix(dot)kiula(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PG 9.0 - Default postgresql.conf?
Date: 2011-04-27 18:56:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Phoenix Kiula wrote:

>> What changes does initdb make -- can I make them by myself?

The main thing is that it adjusts shared_buffers down until the server
will start without exceeding the OS limits. It also sets some locale
parameters within the database.

> Btw, the default file is FAILING. The server does not restart.
>
> How can I check what the problem is? I don't see any errors at least
> on the command line.All I see is:

The errors are probably in /var/lib/pgsql/9.0/pgstartup.log

Most of the time the problem is either:

a) shared_buffers and the other memory parameters are set too high for
the OS settings.
b) There is already an instance running, or some file left behind from
an earlier instance, that is blocking startup of the new server.
c) A file is missing, corrupted, or has the wrong permissions

All of the common cases identify themselves clearly in the log file.