Re: BUG #5990: 100% CPU reached

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Allen Sooredoo" <allen_sooredoo(at)carrefour(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5990: 100% CPU reached
Date: 2011-04-20 20:43:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Allen Sooredoo" <allen_sooredoo(at)carrefour(dot)com> wrote:

> we are facing a performance issue on Postgres 8.4, the CPU reaches
> 100% with less than 50 simultaneous users.
>
> We were thinking to migrate the HR system from Oracle to Postgres
> but now that we have those big performance problems on relatively
> small applications, we are questioning this choice.
>
> The machine configuration, dedicated to Postgres is as follow:
> RAM: 3GB
> CPU: Intel Xeon CPU 3.2 Ghz
>
> Could you please provide us some support regarding this issue?

Since many people are using PostgreSQL with large databases and many
users, it's important to understand what it is about your particular
situation which is causing it not to perform well. (Our shop, for
example, has a 2 TB database with millions of hits per day.)

Please read this and post to the pgsql-performance list:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/SlowQueryQuestions

You will probably get the most useful responses if you can first
identify one or more of your slow queries and post the specifics of
those, per the above web page.

-Kevin