Re: cast from integer to money

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cast from integer to money
Date: 2011-03-31 20:58:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On the open items list, we have:
>
> conversion from integer literals to money type
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-testers/2011-01/msg00000.php
>
> What this is really complaining about is that we added a cast from
> numeric to money, but not from integer to money.  This isn't
> really a bug: the fact that we added one cast doesn't oblige us to
> add two. On the other hand, the change is probably harmless and
> straightforward, and might reduce user confusion.

There were reasonable arguments made why this could be a bad idea --
primarily around the question of whether '395' represented $3.95 or
$395.00.  Going the other way has issues with truncation of
fractions and the number of digits which can be handled.  I'm not
convinced it's sane, and I feel strongly it's too late in the cycle
to try to implement.

-Kevin