Re: first time odbc

From: Raymond O'Donnell <rod(at)iol(dot)ie>
To: Marc Fromm <Marc(dot)Fromm(at)wwu(dot)edu>
Cc: "jsilberberg(at)mindspring(dot)com" <jsilberberg(at)mindspring(dot)com>, "pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: first time odbc
Date: 2011-03-30 09:44:03
Lists: pgsql-odbc
On 29/03/2011 21:21, Marc Fromm wrote:
> By editing postgresql.conf and changing listen_address = ‘*’ and editing
> pg_hba.conf and adding host all all my.ip.address allowed me to connect
> to the postgresql data base with Microsoft access.
>
> In access I can see the table and it fields, but if I try to use the
> table in a querry or view the table I get an error: permission denied
> for relation summer_finaid; error while executing the query (#7)

You need to grant permission on the table to the user:

   GRANT SELECT ON summer_finaid TO [insert your user here];

See the docs here:

   http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-grant.html

> Also in the postgresql instead of listen_address=’*’ I tried
> listen_address=’localhost, my.ip.address’ but that failed to work.
>
> How can I keep local host and only allow specific address? I don’t want
> to open it up to all with ‘*’

listen_addresses specifies the interfaces on which Postgres *listens*,
not the remote hosts which can connect - that's done in pg_hba.conf.

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland
rod(at)iol(dot)ie