Re: WIP patch for parallel pg_dump

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP patch for parallel pg_dump
Date: 2010-12-02 11:19:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 02.12.2010 07:39, Joachim Wieland wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 6:52 PM, Joachim Wieland<joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>  wrote:
>> You would add a regular parallel dump with
>>
>> $ pg_dump -j 4 -Fd -f out.dir dbname
>
> So this is an updated series of patches for my parallel pg_dump WIP
> patch. Most importantly it now runs on Windows once you get it to
> compile there (I have added the new files to the respective project of
> Mkvcbuild.pm but I wondered why the other archive formats do not need
> to be defined in that file...).
>
> So far nobody has volunteered to review this patch. It would be great
> if people could at least check it out, run it and let me know if it
> works and if they have any comments.

That's a big patch..

I don't see the point of the sort-by-relpages code. The order the
objects are dumped should be irrelevant, as long as you obey the
restrictions dictated by dependencies. Or is it only needed for the
multiple-target-dirs feature? Frankly I don't see the point of that, so
it would be good to cull it out at least in this first stage.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas