Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove outdated comments from the regression test files.

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove outdated comments from the regression test files.
Date: 2010-11-29 12:42:10
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers
On 28.11.2010 06:59, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 3:46 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>  wrote:
>> Robert Haas<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>  writes:
>>
>>> At least for me, referring to it that way makes finding the original patch an order of magnitude faster (git show hash).  YMMV.
>>
>> [ shrug... ]  You need to take the long view here.  We're not working on
>> the assumption that git is the last SCM this project will ever use.
>> Even granting that it is, I don't think git hashes are adequately stable;
>> hashes.  And AFAIK there is no mechanism that would fix hash references
>> embedded in commit log messages (or the code).
>
> Well, if we ever did want to rewrite the entire development history
> (why?) I suppose we could rewrite SHA hashes in the commit messages at
> the same time.  But I think one big advantage of git (or svn, or
> probably any other post-CVS VCS) is that it has unique IDs for
> commits.  Referring to them as "the commit by so-and-so on
> such-and-such a date" just on the off chance that we might someday
> decide to replace those unique IDs with another set of unique IDs
> doesn't make much sense to me.  It makes things more difficult now in
> the hope that, ten years from now when we switch systems again, it'll
> be easier to use unstructured text to construct a search command to
> root through the development history than it will be to map a git
> commit id onto a commit id in the new system.  That's possible, but
> it's far from obvious.  We are database professionals; we ought to
> believe in the value of unique keys.

Let's do both: "This fixes the bug introduced by the foobar patch from
Sep 12th (git commitid a2c23897bc).

I like to see the date of the referred patch in the commit message, to
get an immediate idea of whether it was a 5-year old change or something
from the previous day. But the commitid is also nice so you can
immediately copy-paste that without reading through the old commit logs.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas