Howto read a UTF-8 CSV with COPY?

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Howto read a UTF-8 CSV with COPY?
Date: 2010-11-11 22:01:49
Lists: pgsql-novice
I'd like to import some data from ms-office that has text columns with
international characters in it.

COPY complains about illegal byte sequences.

When I placed a "set client_encoding = LATIN1" in front of the COPY
command, COPY was happy.
It still didn't work as expected. There were empty attributes in the
imported table when there were accent decorated characters in the source

Is there a way to import UTF8 encoded csv files ?

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: LazyTrekDate: 2010-11-12 06:26:23