Re: Probable faq: need some benchmarks of pgsql vr.s mysql

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Brian Hurt <bhurt(at)spnz(dot)org>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Probable faq: need some benchmarks of pgsql vr.s mysql
Date: 2010-10-30 13:57:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
On 10/29/2010 11:37 PM, Brian Hurt wrote:

> For the record, the table we're having trouble inserting into is ~100
> rows with ~50 indexes on it. E.F Codd is spinning in his grave. The
> reason they went with this design (instead of one that has two tables,
> each with 3-6 columns, and about that many indexes) is that "joins are
> slow". Which they may be on Mysql, I don't know. But this is
> (unfortunately) a different battle.

is that really only 100 rows or are you actually talking about columns?
if the later you will have a very hard time getting reasonable bulk/mass
and with a that ridiculous number of indexes is just bound to be slow.
Now I actually think that the figures you are getting from innodb are
fairly reasonable...

Stefan