Re: add label to enum syntax

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: add label to enum syntax
Date: 2010-10-27 14:18:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 10/26/2010 09:16 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> But ... having said all that, I have to agree that ELEMENT seems
> preferable to LABEL if we ignore micro-considerations of parser
> efficiency --- I still think LABEL is a pretty poor choice of word
> here. Personally I'd still take VALUE as being my first choice though.

Speculation about what the SQL standards might contain at some stage if
they ever supported enums seems to be drawing a bit of a long bow, so
I'm not terribly convinced by that line of reasoning.

The reason I chose LABEL was that it's consistent with what we have used
elsewhere, both in the docs and the catalog. But I'm not strongly wedded
to it. If it's a choice between ELEMENT and VALUE, I too prefer VALUE at
it seems likelier to convey the sense of what we're doing to a naive user.

cheers

andrew