Re: git diff --patience

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Peter Eisentraut" <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: git diff --patience
Date: 2010-09-29 14:11:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:

> I have tried this switch various times now and haven't seen any
> difference at all in the output. Do you have an existing commit
> where you see a difference so I can try it and see if there is
> some other problem that my local configuration has?

Having looked at it more, I find that the output with the switch is
usually the same as without; but when they differ, I always have
preferred the version with it on. Attached is the diff which caused
me to see if there was a way to make the diff output smarter, and
the result of adding the --patience flag.

This is the unified form that git puts out by default, but the
benefit is there after filterdiff --format=context, too.

-Kevin

Attachment Content-Type Size
patience-off.diff application/octet-stream 5.9 KB
patience-on.diff application/octet-stream 5.9 KB