Re: Memory usage - indexes

From: Brad Nicholson <bnichols(at)ca(dot)afilias(dot)info>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Memory usage - indexes
Date: 2010-09-24 18:34:06
Lists: pgsql-performance
  On 10-09-24 01:41 PM, Tobias Brox wrote:
> What do you mean, that you could run regular vacuum less frequently,
> or that the regular vacuum would go faster?

It means that vacuums ran less frequently.  With cron triggered vacuums,
we estimated when tables needed to be vacuumed, and vacuumed them
accordingly.  Because of unpredictable shifts in activity, we scheduled
the vacuums to happen more often than needed.

With autovacuum, we vacuum some of our large tables far less
frequently.  We have a few large tables that used to get vacuumed every
other day that now get vacuumed once or twice a month.

The vacuums themselves take longer now as we use the vacuum cost delay
to control the IO.  That wasn't an option for us when we did manual
vacuums as that was in 8.1 when vacuums were still treated as long
running transactions.  Stretching a vacuum out to a few hours  prior to
8.2 would bloat other tables.

--
Brad Nicholson  416-673-4106