Where does data in pg_stat_user_tables come from?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Where does data in pg_stat_user_tables come from?
Date: 2010-09-13 23:06:06
Lists: pgsql-performance
All,

I've been looking at pg_stat_user_tables (in 8.3, because of a project I
have), and it appears that autovacuum, and only autovaccum, updates the
data for this view.  This means that one can never have data in
pg_stat_user_tables which is completely up-to-date, and if autovacuum is
off, the view is useless.

Am I reading this correctly?  If so, shouldn't this be a TODO -- or is
it fixed already in 9.0?

--
                                  -- Josh Berkus
                                     PostgreSQL Experts Inc.