Re: libpq related crash

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Ramanujam <innomotive(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq related crash
Date: 2010-08-26 05:48:36
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Le 26/08/2010 07:35, Ramanujam a écrit :
> [...]
> I apologise if this is the incorrect list.

You won't need to, it is the correct list :)

> I successfully built the latest pgAdmin3 source from git. However,
> when I try to connect a a db after launching, I get the following
> error:
> ./pgadmin3: symbol lookup error: ./pgadmin3: undefined symbol: PQconninfoParse
> I did refer to the previous thread that carried this exact error and
> checked if I am indeed building against a libpq 8.4+ version.
> "configure" confirms this:
> checking for PQexec in -lpq... yes
> checking for PQconninfoParse in -lpq... yes
> checking for SSL_connect in -lpq... no
> PostgreSQL directory:			/usr/local/pgsql
> PostgreSQL pg_config binary:	/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_config
> PostgreSQL version:			PostgreSQL 8.4.4
> PostgreSQL SSL support:		Missing
> I did have a 8.3 version before but I have removed that including any
> remnants of it. I am running an 8.4.4 and can connect to it without
> problems from psql:
> kono(at)yam:~/pg/pgadmin/pgadmin3$ /usr/local/pgsql/bin/psql -U postgres test3
> psql (8.4.4)
> Type "help" for help.
> test3=# select version();
>                                              version
>  PostgreSQL 8.4.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc (Ubuntu
> 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3, 32-bit
> (1 row)
> test3=# \set
> VERSION = 'PostgreSQL 8.4.4 on i686-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by GCC gcc
> (Ubuntu 4.3.3-5ubuntu4) 4.3.3, 32-bit'
> DBNAME = 'test3'
> USER = 'postgres'
> PORT = '5432'
> Can anyone please let me know how this can be resolved?

I'm pretty sure you have an old libpq library around, and that pgAdmin
uses this one. Be careful that libpq is a different package on Ubuntu (I
mean, not a postgresql-*, but a libpq*). Try "ldd $(which pgadmin3) |
grep libpq" to find which one library file it uses.

To launch pgAdmin, you can try this on a terminal:

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/pgsql/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

After the export, if /usr/local/pgsql is the location of your 8.4
PostgreSQL binaires, then pgAdmin should connect to your databases if
you launch if from the same terminal.

Tell us how it goes. I have probably to work on this today, and I would
like to hear from you so that we get the best fix.