Re: NASA needs Postgres - Nagios help

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: "Duncavage, Daniel P(dot) (JSC-OD211)" <daniel(dot)p(dot)duncavage(at)nasa(dot)gov>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: NASA needs Postgres - Nagios help
Date: 2010-07-13 17:10:49
Lists: pgsql-general
Duncavage, Daniel P. (JSC-OD211) wrote:
> We are implementing Nagios on Space Station and want to use PostgreSQL
> to store the data on orbit and then replicate that db on the ground.
> The problem is, most people use MySQL with Nagios.  We need an addon to
> ingest Nagios data into PostgreSQL.  It looks like the most reasonable
> implementation is to update the NDOUtils addon to support PostgreSQL.
> Does anyone have such an addon, or want to write one?

Cool project :) I once did some work on adding proper PostgreSQL support
to NDOutils but the problem is that the current code is really not too
well structured for a "real" RDBMS(prepared statements, transactions,...)
However the http://www.icinga.org/ fork of NDOutils (IDOutils) does have
some basic PostgreSQL support - maybe that will get you started.

> I'm the NASA project manager for the set of computers on Space Station
> and we plan to deploy this capability this year.  If have to write our
> own addon, we will, but I'd rather use something already out there.

Yeah reusing code is always easier and you also don't have to maintain
it one your own as well :)

Stefan