Re: proof concept: do statement parametrization

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proof concept: do statement parametrization
Date: 2010-07-04 15:38:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Pavel Stehule wrote:
>> BTW, we intentionally didn't put any provision for parameters into DO
>> originally.  What's changed to alter that decision?
>>

> It just concept - nothing more. And my instinct speak so inline code
> block without external parametrization is useless.

You have said this before, IIRC, but frankly your instinct is just
wrong. It is no more useless than are parameter-less functions, and I
use those frequently. I used a DO block for some useful testing just the
other day.

This whole proposal strikes me as premature. What we need is some
experience from the field in using DO before we can sensibly decide how
it should be extended. And we won't get that until 9.0 has been released
and used for a while.

cheers

andrew