Re: Londiste

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Londiste
Date: 2010-05-28 19:34:55
Lists: pgsql-docs
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> That is an excellent idea, not only for replication, but there are
> probably other wiki pages that we should link to from our main docs.  I
> will go through the wiki, find appropriate pages, and add links from our
> docs.

Please suggest what those pages are before you do the doc edits.  While
we can fix stuff with redirection, in some cases it would be better to
create a specific destination page for the documentation to point to,
with a stable URL from the beginning.  For example, the last specific
page we would want to point the docs toward is
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication%2C_Clustering%2C_and_Connection_Pooling
, which is ridiculous in length (I regret creating the page like that),
going through a major revision right now (parallel descriptions being
worked out at http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Clustering ), and just
generally a mess.

I'd rather see (and will create) specific pages created for Replication
and Pooling if we want something the docs can be pointed towards.  As an
example, I already created one such page but haven't filled in the
details for the Nagios etc. doc updates Bruce already inserted:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Monitoring.

It's really obvious that PostgreSQL installs in the real world benefit
from adding a number of non-core tools.  It's inappropriate and
overwhelming to consider documenting them, or even listing them all, in
the core docs.  It's also terrible that we don't make it easier for
people to find those, and point out the seams where it's expected a
third party package will fill in on something that's been punted out of
core but is done well outside of it.  The wiki is a reasonable place to
assemble both a highlights directory of such packages and associated
documentation, all in one spot.