Re: Expanded information template

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgresCluster ML <pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Expanded information template
Date: 2010-03-26 17:55:31
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers
Brendan Jurd wrote:
> The new template is at
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Template:ClusteringProject.  I have
> converted the Slony page http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Slony across
> to the template; it seemed like a useful subject for the experiment
> because the page content was very complete and conformed closely to
> the template.

I just tried to convert the Pgpool-II page, as another example that
includes almost all the information there, and that didn't go very
well.  I think that by targeting a template for the entire page, it has
gotten a bit too complicated in terms of how much wiki-fu is needed to
use it right now.  The main sticking point for me was getting the
"General Information" piece filled in correctly, in the middle of the
rest of the sections.  Couple of possibilities to make this easier, just
to give some ideas on what might improve that situation:

1) Put that one first in the template definition, even if it shows up later.
2) Break that out into its own sub-template
3) Is it possible to name the fields rather than rely strictly on
order?  I'm concerned that we won't be able to add fields to template
later anywhere but the end without breaking existing pages.  Having some
sort of "name=value" orientation would make it more obvious what you
were filling in too; if that's not practical, maybe the example to copy
should suggest how to use some sort of comment markup to document what
field you're filling in?

Also, one missing entry from there is "Synchronous Replication?", which
is used in that entry and I think should be mentioned in all of them.
This is a good example of (3)--that should go after "Online
Provisioning" I think, and if you add it to the template now every
existing page (just Slony right now) would need to be updated.