Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
Cc: "<david(at)lang(dot)hm>" <david(at)lang(dot)hm>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, Francisco Reyes <lists(at)stringsutils(dot)com>, Pgsql performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 10K vs 15k rpm for analytics
Date: 2010-03-09 07:00:50
Lists: pgsql-performance

Scott Carey wrote:
> For high sequential throughput, nothing is as optimized as XFS on Linux yet. It has weaknesses elsewhere however.

I'm curious what you feel those weaknesses are. The recent addition of
XFS back into a more mainstream position in the RHEL kernel as of their
5.4 update greatly expands where I can use it now, have been heavily
revisiting it since that release. I've already noted how well it does
on sequential read/write tasks relative to ext3, and it looks like the
main downsides I used to worry about with it (mainly crash recovery
issues) were also squashed in recent years.

--
Greg Smith 2ndQuadrant US Baltimore, MD
greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com www.2ndQuadrant.us