Performance Patches Was: Lock Wait Statistics (next commitfest)

From: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Mark Kirkwood <markir(at)paradise(dot)net(dot)nz>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, gokul007(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Performance Patches Was: Lock Wait Statistics (next commitfest)
Date: 2010-02-27 23:22:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greg Smith wrote:

> While I was in there I also added some more notes on my personal top
> patch submission peeve, patches whose purpose in life is to improve
> performance that don't come with associated easy to run test cases,
> including a sample of that test running on a system that shows the
> speedup clearly. If I were in charge I just would make it standard
> project policy to reject any performance patch without those
> characteristics immediately.

While I completely agree that the submitter should be required to supply
a test case and their results, so the rest of us can try to reproduce
said improvement - rejecting the patch out of hand is a bit harsh I feel
- Hey, they may just have forgotten to supply these things! The reviewer
can always ask, can they not? I would prefer to see the wiki say
something along the lines of "If you don't supply a test case you will
be asked for one before any further review can proceed..."

Cheers

Mark