Re: Problem with 8.4 stats collector high load

From: Jakub Ouhrabka <kuba(at)comgate(dot)cz>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problem with 8.4 stats collector high load
Date: 2010-02-16 19:16:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Ideally, autovacuum would only request a new copy of the file if the
> one it got was considerably out of date. Obviously a tenth of a
> second is not old enough.

I've tried to look at it and found that's already implemented - see
autovac_refresh_stats(). STATS_READ_DELAY which is set to 1s. Am I
reading the code correctly? If so then 1s is not enough for big clusters.

I guess it would be feasible to crank STATS_READ_DELAY up a little bit,
say to 10s. What do you think?

Kuba