Re: Dell PERC H700/H800

From: James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>
To: Matthew Wakeling <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dell PERC H700/H800
Date: 2010-02-11 20:11:38
Lists: pgsql-performance
Matthew Wakeling wrote:

> Just a heads up - apparently the more recent Dell RAID controllers
> will no longer recognise hard discs that weren't sold through Dell.
>
> http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2010/02/10/dell_perc_11th_gen_qualified_hdds_only/
>

> As one of the comments points out, that kind of makes them no longer
> SATA or SAS compatible, and they shouldn't be allowed to use those
> acronyms any more.
>
> Matthew

I think that's potentially FUD.  Its all about 'Dell qualified drives'.
I can't see anything that suggests that Dell will OEM drives and somehow
tag them so that the drive must have come from them.  Of course they are
big enough that they could have special BIOS I guess, but I read it that
the drive types (and presumably revisions thereof) had to be recognised
by the controller from a list, which presumably can be reflashed, which
is not quite saying that if some WD enterprise drive model is
'qualified' then you have to buy it from Dell..

Do you have any further detail?