Re: mailing list archiver chewing patches

From: Matteo Beccati <php(at)beccati(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams(at)toroid(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tim Bunce <Tim(dot)Bunce(at)pobox(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2010-01-30 16:08:08
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-www
Il 19/01/2010 09:44, Magnus Hagander ha scritto:
> As long as the templating is separated from the code, it doesn't
> matter if it's a dedicated templating engine or PHP. The point being,
> focus on the contents and interface, porting the actual
> HTML-generation is likely to be easy compared to that.

I've been following the various suggestions. Please take a look at the
updated archives proof of concept:

http://archives.beccati.org/

The PoC is now integrated with the website layout and has a working
"Mailing lists" menu to navigate the available lists. The artificial
monthly breakdown has been removed and both thread and date sorting use
pagination instead.

The fancy tables are using the Ext JS framework as it was the only free
one I could find that features column layout for trees. I'm not
extremely happy about it, but it just works. Threads are loaded
asynchronously (AJAX), while date sorting uses regular HTML tables with
a bit of JS to get the fancy layout. This means that search engines
still have a way to properly index all the messages.

Last but not least, it's backwards compatibile with the /message-id/*
URI. The other one (/list/yyyy-mm/msg*.php) is implemented, but I just
realized that it has problems dealing with the old archive weirdness
(2009-12 shows also some messages dated aug 2009 nov 2009 or jan 2010
for -hackers).

That said, there are still a few visual improvements to be done, but
overall I'm pretty much satisfied.

Cheers
--
Matteo Beccati