Re: XQuery support

From: Scott Bailey <artacus(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XQuery support
Date: 2010-01-29 06:09:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I know this has been discussed several times and it seems the
> conclusin was it's impossible if we would like to use existing XQuery
> external modules (some are by license reasons and some are by
> techinical reasons).
>
> So it seems the only way to support XQuery is, developing our own
> XQuery functionality from scratch. I'm wondering if other people reach
> the same conclusion as me, or is it a totaly impossible project?
> --
> Tatsuo Ishii
> SRA OSS, Inc. Japan

Well xquilla on top of xerces should get us pretty much were we need to
go. They are both under the Apache 2 license, which I believe would be
ok. But they are C++ so I don't know if we could use them.

I found Zorba, its C++ and Apache 2. But I don't know much about it. But
it looks promising.
http://www.zorba-xquery.com/

Sedna is a complete db/xquery solution licensed under Apache 2 and
written in C/C++. Perhaps we could use pieces of this. Better than
starting from scratch.
http://modis.ispras.ru/sedna/index.html

Scott