Re: PG_STAT_DATABASE

From: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>
To: mladen(dot)gogala(at)vmsinfo(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG_STAT_DATABASE
Date: 2010-01-28 19:10:53
Lists: pgsql-novice
Mladen Gogala wrote:
> I am looking into the PostgreSQL dictionary. The view pg_stat_activity
> is the PgSQL version of v$session. There are interesting views named
> pg_stat_database and pg_stat_user_tables. What is the starting point
> for those stat views? Is that since the database and table, in case of
> the latter view, was created? Is it since the last restart of the
> instance? I was unable to find that in the documentation....

There used (pre 8.3 I think) to be a postgresql.conf setting called
stats_reset_on_server_start that would determine whether the collected
stats would carry across server restarts or be reset. That setting has
been removed due to the addition of a reset function called
pg_stat_reset() which is (tersely) documented along with a lot of other
info on statistics collection at
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/monitoring-stats.html.

Cheers,
Steve