Re: max_fsm_pages question

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Michael Monnerie" <michael(dot)monnerie(at)is(dot)it-management(dot)at>
Cc: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: max_fsm_pages question
Date: 2010-01-25 15:03:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

Michael Monnerie <michael(dot)monnerie(at)is(dot)it-management(dot)at> wrote:
> So, as there was that one relation that was bloatet - how could it
> be? Autovaccuum, nightly vacuum analyze, weekly cluster - and
> still a heavy bloated toast* something. I must do something wrong.

Any chance you had or have long-running transactions. We once had
very low free space in a big database which suddenly ballooned. It
turned out an application programmer had left a connection in "idle
in transaction" state for a few days.

Another possibility is that you had an update or delete which
affected a lot of rows. Even if it rolls back, it can cause bloat.

-Kevin