Re: PATCH: Add hstore_to_json()

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Add hstore_to_json()
Date: 2009-12-30 18:23:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David E. Wheeler wrote:
>> I guess the question is whether we would slurp one of these into our
>> code base, or whether we would add an analog of --with-libxml and
>> provide only a stub implementation when the library is not present.
>> Any opinions? Does anyone know whether any of these implementations
>> are commonly packaged already?
>>

> I doubt that they have similar interfaces, so we'd probably have to rely on one. I'd probably favor embedding, personally, it's less work for admins.

I think we are getting the cart way before the horse. I'd like to see at
least the outline of an API before we go any further. JSON is, shall we
say, lightly specified, and doesn't appear to have any equivalent to
XPath and friends, for example. How will we extract values from a JSON
object? How will we be able to set values inside them? In ECMAScript
it's not a problem, because the objects returned are just like any other
objects, but that's not the case here. These are the sorts of questions
we need to answer before we look at any implementation details, I think.

cheers

andrew