Re: [Fwd: "pg_regress: initdb failed" with git tree]

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Aioanei Rares <schaiba(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-testers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Fwd: "pg_regress: initdb failed" with git tree]
Date: 2009-12-30 17:27:08
Lists: pgsql-testers
Aioanei Rares wrote:
>>> pg_regress: initdb failed
>>> Examine /home/arares/postgresql/src/test/regress/log/initdb.log for
>>> the reason.

So here's the problem line:

initializing dependencies ... FATAL:  compressed data is corrupt

That's coming from pretty deep inside PostgreSQL.  Large bits of data
that get inserted are compressed into what the database calls TOAST
relations.  This error shows up when the database tries to decompress
those TOAST bits back into the original bytes again.  That should never
fail.

Possible causes here:

1) System hardware instability.  Intermittent RAM can cause this.  I'd
run a pass of memtest86+ just to rule that out in this situation, just
to keep from chasing after the wrong thing
2) Buggy underlying OS, driver, or system library, somehow corrupting
data that's been written before or during when it gets read back again.
3) PostgreSQL bug.

Basically the tree is to figure out if it's specific to your system,
then if it's specific to everyone one running the same Debian version
you are, and then if neither of those are the case it might be possible
to trace this down as a PostgreSQL issue.  Not sure if you have any
alternate systems to test against.  The main reason I wouldn't assume
it's a PostgreSQL bug initially is just because there are so many
entries in the PostgreSQL buildfarm running this same test all the time
without any problems.  I think you're running a newer OS and libraries
than any of them so far though.