Re: Connection.setReadOnly()

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connection.setReadOnly()
Date: 2009-12-11 01:16:38
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
John R Pierce wrote:
> Oliver Jowett wrote:

>> If your oracle developers don't want manually committed transactions,
>> perhaps they should.. turn on autocommit.
> otherwise, an app thats doing purely read queries has to periodically
> issue a Commit().   I have to say, doing Commit() on read operations is
> NOT at all intuitive.

Maybe not, but it's a fairly well known quirk of Postgresql that
long-running transactions don't work so well; the JDBC driver is no
different to any other interface in this regard.

If you don't care about transaction boundaries, why are you even turning
off autocommit in the first place? It's a little unfair to explicitly
turn off autocommit, then complain that you need to manually commit