Re: RAID card recommendation

From: Karl Denninger <karl(at)denninger(dot)net>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Craig James <craig_james(at)emolecules(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: RAID card recommendation
Date: 2009-12-07 23:12:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

Greg Smith wrote:
> Craig James wrote:
>> ... and do I hear you saying that no other vendor is worth
>> considering? Just how far off are they?
> I wasn't trying to summarize every possible possibility, just the
> complicated ones there's some debate over.
>
> What else is OK besides Areca and 3ware? HP's P800 is good, albeit
> not so easy to buy unless you're getting an HP system. The LSI
> Megaraid stuff and its close relative the Dell PERC6 are OK for some
> apps too; my intense hatred of Dell usually results in my forgetting
> about them. (As an example,
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX#Issues_with_Dell_power_supplies
> documents what I consider the worst design decision ever made by a PC
> manufacturer)
>
> I don't think any of the other vendors on the market are viable for a
> Linux system due to driver issues and general low quality, which
> includes Adaptec, Promise, Highpoint, and all the motherboard Fake
> RAID stuff from Silicon Image, Intel, Via, etc. I don't feel there's
> any justification for using those products instead of using a simple
> SATA controller and Linux software RAID in a PostgreSQL context.
The LSI Megaraid (and Intel's repackaging of it, among others) is
reasonably good under FreeBSD.

Performance is slightly worse than the 3ware 95xx series boards, but not
materially so.

Their CLI interface is "interesting" (it drops a log file in the working
directly BY DEFAULT unless you tell it otherwise, among other things.)

-- Karl

Attachment Content-Type Size
karl.vcf text/x-vcard 124 bytes