Re: hosting recommendations?

From: Jamie Flournoy <jamie(at)white-mountain(dot)org>
To: Eric Theise <erictheise(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hosting recommendations?
Date: 2009-09-09 00:39:09
Lists: sfpug
Choosing a web host is like choosing a taxi cab. There are so many it's
hard to rate them in any meaningful way.

That said, virtualization does help. I'm a big fan of just getting an
empty slice with no control panel and setting up DNS, mail, and backups
myself. Virtualization allows this to be cost effective (more power than
locked down shared hosting, and cheaper than a real dedicated server).
It also makes it easy to set up a very similar test environment on your
laptop.

I also recommend that you avoid 3rd-party web-GUI control panels such as
CPanel. Those packages only make sense if you never, ever want to SSH
into the server and just want it to magically work without any
customization whatsoever. As soon as you want to do anything fancy --
which is why you'd want a VPS -- they just get in the way.

(I personally use RimuHosting, and I'm very happy with them.)