Re: Install new perl test function in PostgreSQL

From: Shane Ambler <pgsql(at)Sheeky(dot)Biz>
To: Jignesh Shah <jignesh(dot)shah1980(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Wood <esiotrot(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jure Kobal <j(dot)kobal(at)gmx(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Install new perl test function in PostgreSQL
Date: 2009-08-27 08:58:27
Lists: pgsql-novice
Jignesh Shah wrote:
> Thanks I will try it today and get back here in case of any problems. I
> could see "CREATE OR REPLACE" in every trigger example. I am wondering why
> we need REPLACE? What is it purpose?
>
> Thanks,
> Jignesh

It is fairly common to modify functions several times before they are
finalised. Using OR REPLACE simply allows you to do it in one step,
instead of DROP FUNCTION... CREATE FUNCTION... every time you change
something.

The OR REPLACE is only an option, you don't have to use it if you don't
want to.

--

Shane Ambler
pgSQL (at) Sheeky (dot) Biz