Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Scott Carey" <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Matthew Wakeling" <matthew(at)flymine(dot)org>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 performance tuning questions
Date: 2009-07-30 22:00:00
Lists: pgsql-performance
> Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com> writes:
>> Gzip does have some quirky performance behavior depending on the
>> chunk size of data you stream into it.
>
> Can you enlarge on that comment?  I'm not sure that pg_dump is aware
> that there's anything to worry about there.

If the library used here is anything like the native library used by
Java, it'd be worth putting a buffer layer ahead of the calls to gzip,
so it isn't dealing with each individual value as a separate call.  I
seem to remember running into that issue in Java, where throwing a
BufferedOutputStream in there fixed the performance issue.

-Kevin