Re: SELECT ... FOR UPDATE [WAIT integer | NOWAIT] for 8.5

From: Boszormenyi Zoltan <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Hans-Juergen Schoenig <postgres(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Sándor Miglécz <sandor(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: SELECT ... FOR UPDATE [WAIT integer | NOWAIT] for 8.5
Date: 2009-07-30 12:47:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alvaro Herrera írta:
> Boszormenyi Zoltan wrote:
>

>> The vague consensus for syntax options was that the GUC
>> 'lock_timeout' and WAIT [N] extension (wherever NOWAIT
>> is allowed) both should be implemented.
>>
>> Behaviour would be that N seconds timeout should be
>> applied to every lock that the statement would take.
>>

> In http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/291.1242053201@sss.pgh.pa.us
> Tom argues that lock_timeout should be sufficient. I'm not sure what
> does WAIT [N] buy

Okay, we implemented only the lock_timeout GUC.
Patch attached, hopefully in an acceptable form.
Documentation included in the patch, lock_timeout
works the same way as statement_timeout, takes
value in milliseconds and 0 disables the timeout.

Best regards,
Zoltán Böszörményi

--
Bible has answers for everything. Proof:
"But let your communication be, Yea, yea; Nay, nay: for whatsoever is more

Zoltán Böszörményi
Cybertec Schönig & Schönig GmbH
http://www.postgresql.at/

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg85-locktimeout-ctxdiff.patch text/x-patch 52.8 KB