Re: hyperthreaded cpu still an issue in 8.4?

From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8(at)verizon(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: hyperthreaded cpu still an issue in 8.4?
Date: 2009-07-21 18:02:00
Lists: pgsql-performance
Scott Carey wrote:

> But back on topic for HT -- HT doesn't like spin-locks much unless they
> use the right low level instruction sequence rather than actually
> spinning. With the right instruction, the spin will allow the other
> thread to do work... With the wrong one, it will tie up the pipeline.  I
> have no idea what Postgres' spin-locks and tool chain compile down to.

I have two hyperthreaded Xeon processors, so this machine thinks it has four
processors. I have not seen the effect of spin locks with postgres. But I
can tell that Firefox and Thunderbird use the wrong ones. When one of these
is having trouble accessing a site, the processor in question goes up to
100% and the other part of the hyperthreaded processor does nothing even
though I run four BOINC processes that would be glad to gobble up the
cycles. Of course, since it is common to both Firefox and Thunderbird,
perhaps it is a problem in the name server, bind. But wherever it is, it
bugs me.

  ^^-^^ 13:55:01 up 6 days, 3:52, 3 users, load average: 4.03, 4.25, 4.45